------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

CAD TECHNICAL COMMITTEE

MEETING MINUTES

DATE:  June 05, 2014

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

Staff Present

x

Mike Longstreet - Structures

 

Mike Lacroix – Roadway (Taylor Sisson here for Mike)

 

Dan Beard - Structures

x

Lori Bullock – Pavement Mgt. (Minutes)

 

Paul Beyor – Roadway

x

Jeff Blanchard – ROW

x

Sandy Schmitt - Construction

 

Mladen Gagulic - Rail

 

Vacant - LTF

x

Israel Maynard – Stantec

 

Ralf Bullock - Operations

x

Schuyler Lamphere – Dubois & King

x

Joe Hatch - Information Technology

 

 



Meeting called to order at 9:05 a.m.

 

Minutes of April 30, 2014 – CAD Technical Committee Meeting minutes accepted as printed.

 

Minutes of June 05 Meeting:

 

Task Updates:

1.      CADSS-14-00(1-2) Deliverable Requirements.  This is currently ongoing.

a.        Bill Farley working on getting approvals.

2.       CSPM bdr.dgn file name Double Meaning.  Not complete at this time.

3.      Clear up Font 1 as base.  Not complete at this time.

   a.  This is a low priority and has not been started yet.

4.      Develop Extended File Name List.  Not complete at this time.

a.       Question came in from Clough, Harbor, and Associates regarding naming conventions                                                                     for a project that encompasses four towns.  Question and answer was posted to the sharepoint site.  Station equations are needed at town lines.

b.      The committee can extend some file naming conventions but can’t give an example of  every possible combination.

      5.    New CADD Help Website.  Currently about 90% complete, still in progress.

          a.  The new site is up and running.

      6.  Online VTCAD Presentations.  This is currently ongoing. Adding Trainings, on Sharepoint also. Adding Bently trainings as well.

          a.  Should another border presentation be given?

      7.  CADD Technical Committee Participation.  Ongoing, keep on list for next meeting.

          a.  For those that are not attending on a regular basis, should we find replacements for or                                

              take their group out of the committee altogether?

      8.  Sofware usage not optional.  This is currently ongoing.

          a.  Groups and users should be following the CADD manual.  Groups should be using Iplot

              and not print organizer.

      9.  Workstation Performance Specifics.  Currently a new computer in use that isn’t working properly, keep on list.

          a.  Advanced performance hardware should be installed dependent on the user’s abilities

               and  need.

 10.  InterPlot Server License overuse.  This is currently ongoing by J. Hatch

          a.  Joe Hatch is taking care of this.

 11.  Quantify ROW CADD related issues.  This is currently ongoing by R. Cloutier.

         a.  Ryan Cloutier will be trying to keep track of how much time it’s costing ROW to solve 

              issues with files.

12.  Post Meeting Minutes.  This is currently ongoing by M. Longstreet.

13.  Civil 3D Presentation. On hold at this time.

        a.  Mike Longstreet asked Bentley(?) about on-line video presentations directly for Civil      

             3D.

14.  Envision CAD Tutorials.  On hold at this time.

        a.  The Agency can buy 50 hours for $600.

15.  Legacy Project Files.  Completed by P. Beyor. Remove from list for next meeting.

        a.  The date changes every time IT copies a file which makes you assume it’s the latest file

              which isn’t always the case.

 

Miscellaneous Discussion:

 

Bentley is changing directions after realizing companies aren’t using SS3.  Bentley is taking people out of support to develop resolutions to issues out there like cross sections.  Until SS3 can generate and fix cross sections, the Agency won’t use it.  It is also a convoluted process to change contour intervals.  In order for InRoads to work properly you must have InRoads work spaces.  You cannot start InRoads from inside microstation with SS3.  No discussion. Remove from list for next meeting.

 

A pentable has been developed called Prop_Bump.tbl that will bump total sheet numbers or very first sheet number.  This will be useful if you have two separate ips files.  The pentable can be found on the T drive.  There is also a mask_bump.tbl where it will mask text.  No discussion. Remove from list for next meeting.

 

The Digital Print Room is now available to consultants.  They must go to the CADD Help Page and under “Other Links” go to “Digital As Built Engineering Plan Archive”.  Presented and discussed. Remove from list for next meeting.

 

J. Hatch talked about permissions to the M drive for the entire Division. The basic file structure will not change. The M&R structure may change a bit. The structure is currently being worked on by M. Longstreet, W. Symmonds, K. Robie, J. Devlin, P. Peloquin, R. White and J. Narowski.

 

AutoTrack wis going away to be replaced with AutoTurn. There will be a new version which is 3D; AutoTurn Pro. The cost of the Maintenance will determine the decision. Will leave on list for discussion at next meeting.

 

Meeting Adjourn at 10:17AM.

 

 

 

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

CAD TECHNICAL COMMITTEE

MEETING MINUTES

DATE:  APRIL 30, 2014

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

Staff Present

x

Mike Longstreet - Structures

x

Mike Lacroix – Roadway (Taylor Sisson here for Mike)

x

Dan Beard - Structures

x

Lori Bullock – Pavement Mgt. (Minutes)

x

Paul Beyor – Roadway

 

Jeff Blanchard – ROW

 

Judy Gilmore - Construction

 

Mladen Gagulic - Rail

 

Vacant - LTF

x

Israel Maynard – Stantec

 

Ralf Bullock - Operations

 

Schuyler Lamphere – Dubois & King



Meeting called to order at 9:00 a.m.

 

Minutes of April 30, 2014 – CAD Technical Committee Meeting minutes accepted as printed.

 

Task Updates:

5.    CADSS-14-00(1-2) Deliverable Requirements

b.     Bill Farley working on getting approvals.

6.       CSPM bdr.dgn file name Double Meaning

7.      Clear up Font 1 as base

   a.  This is a low priority and has not been started yet.

8.      Develop Extended File Name List

c.       Question came in from Clough, Harbor, and Associates regarding naming conventions                                                                     for a project that encompasses four towns.  Question and answer was posted to the sharepoint site.  Station equations are needed at town lines.

d.      The committee can extend some file naming conventions but can’t give an example of  every possible combination.

      5.    New CADD Help Website

          a.  The new site is up and running.

      6.  Online VTCAD Presentations

          a.  Should another border presentation be given?

      7.  CADD Technical Committee Participation

          a.  For those that are not attending on a regular basis, should we find replacements for or                                

              take their group out of the committee altogether?

      8.  Sofware usage not optional

          a.  Groups and users should be following the CADD manual.  Groups should be using Iplot

              and not print organizer.

      9.  Workstation Performance Specifics

          a.  Advanced performance hardware should be installed dependent on the user’s abilities

               and  need.

 10.  InterPlot Server License overuse

          a.  Joe Hatch is taking care of this.

 

 11.  Quantify ROW CADD related issues

         a.  Ryan Cloutier will be trying to keep track of how much time it’s costing ROW to solve 

              issues with files.

12.  Post Meeting Minutes

13.  Civil 3D Presentation

        a.  Mike Longstreet asked Bentley(?) about on-line video presentations directly for Civil      

             3D.

14.  Envision CAD Tutorials

        a.  The Agency can buy 50 hours for $600.

15.  Legacy Project Files

        a.  The date changes every time IT copies a file which makes you assume it’s the latest file

              which isn’t always the case.

 

Miscellaneous Discussion:

 

Bentley is changing directions after realizing companies aren’t using SS3.  Bentley is taking people out of support to develop resolutions to issues out there like cross sections.  Until SS3 can generate and fix cross sections, the Agency won’t use it.  It is also a convoluted process to change contour intervals.  In order for InRoads to work properly you must have InRoads work spaces.  You cannot start InRoads from inside microstation with SS3.

 

A pentable has been developed called Prop_Bump.tbl that will bump total sheet numbers or very first sheet number.  This will be useful if you have two separate ips files.  The pentable can be found on the T drive.  There is also a mask_bump.tbl where it will mask text.

 

The Digital Print Room is now available to consultants.  They must go to the CADD Help Page and under “Other Links” go to “Digital As Built Engineering Plan Archive”.

    

 

 

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

CAD TECHNICAL COMMITTEE

MEETING MINUTES

DATE: April 3, 2014

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

Staff Present

x

Mike Longstreet - Structures

x

Mike Lacroix – Roadway

x

Dan Beard - Structures

 

Lori Bullock – Pavement Mgt.

x

Paul Beyor – Roadway

x

Jeff Blanchard - ROW

 

Judy Gilmore - Construction

 

Mladen Gagulic - Rail

 

Vacant - LTF

x

Israel Maynard – Stantec (Minutes)

 

Ralf Bullock - Operations

x

Schuyler Lamphere – Dubois & King


Called to order 9:00am

 

March meeting minutes

 

AutoTable Discussion

·         AutoTable is software that converts excel spreadsheets to microstation elements.

·         Recently a consultant provided quantity sheets that were created with AutoTable they were created through the quantity sheet builder but instead of linking the sheets from excel the consultant used the software to make the sheets with microstation elements. Since VAOT does not have AutoTable software these quantity sheets were unable to be edited.

·         Excel files should be included with all deliverables.

Task updates

1.      CADSS-14-00(1-2) Deliverable Requirements

a.      Bill Farley working on getting approvals

2.      CSPM Updates

a.      Clarification needed for bdr.dgn file for sheet/model based plotting

b.      Also need to clarify font 1 vs font 5. Font 1 is the base font in that font 5 was derived from font 1 not that font 1 should be the default.

c.      An Extended file name list should be developed.

3.      New CADD Help Website.

a.      The new site is operational. All files are residing on the sharepoint site with links from the CADD Help site.

4.      Online VTCAD Presentations

a.      Webex license increased to allow 100 users

5.      CADD Committee Participation

a.      Bill Farley has contacted LTF about vacant spot.

6.      Software Usage

a.      Iplot software is the standard for in house plotting software

b.      Use of print organizer can disrupt the workflow of other departments within the agency. ROW had a project with a print variable problem due to the use of print organizer rather than Iplot.

c.      If Iplot is not required by consultants should it be required within the Agency?

d.      Discussions on pros and cons of both Iplot and Print Organizer. Mike Longstreet to put together a summary for further discussion.

7.      Workstation Hardware Requirements

a.      Discussions on minimum performance levels of hardware for new workstations.

b.      IT is currently managing workstations and may not be aware of the requirements of users getting new work stations. Some may be getting laptops that don’t need them or workstations much more powerful than they require for the tasks they do.

 

Digital Print Room

·         Now available to consultants.

 

ROW Quality Related Issues

·         ROW is currently in the process of determining  cost for correcting projects that they are receiving that are not up to CADD standards.

 

Bentley Conference

·         Discussed Attendees and cost/benefits of attending the conference.

 

Civil 3D

·         Mike to setup a presentation of civil 3D from Autodesk.

 

Sharepoint site for Contractors / Consultants

·         Mike showed the existing site used for contractors to communicate with VAOT for contract documents, fabrication drawings and other construction related documentation.

·         Paul raised concern about the documents getting to the M drive so they are more accessible, backed up, and archived properly when necessary. Can this process be automated?

·         Sharepoint can send an email to interested parties when new items are posted which would serve as a reminder to download to the M drive.

·         Sharepoint site is intended to be a location for transfers between consultants/contractors and VAOT not the final location for documents. All documents need to be moved to the M drive.

 

Meeting adjourned at 10:45 am

 

 

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

CAD TECHNICAL COMMITTEE

MEETING MINUTES

DATE: MARCH 6, 2014

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

Staff Present

x

Mike Longstreet - Structures

 

Mike Lacroix – Roadway

x

Dan Beard - Structures

x

Lori Bullock – Pavement Mgt.

x

Paul Beyor – Roadway

x

Jeff Blanchard - ROW

 

Judy Gilmore - Construction

 

Mladen Gagulic - Rail

 

Vacant - LTF

x

Israel Maynard – Stantec

 

Ralf Bullock - Operations

x

Schuyler Lamphere – Dubois & King (Minutes)

 

Called to order at 9:05am

 

February meeting minutes accepted as printed

 

-          Discussed the use of annotation scale

-          Need to update the web with current minutes

-          There is a new discussion webpage on sharepoint for people to ask questions about CADD standards.

-          Discussed deliverables. Planning to change the deliverable requirements

-          Mike has assigned tasks on sharepoint to certain people

-          Discussed file naming and which files house which information

-          Do we want to nail down file names in the CADD standards? Everyone should go away thinking about it. Mike started a discussion about this on sharepoint

-          Discussed the survey elevation problem and how to handle it.

-          We have people on this committee that are not showing up. How do we want to handle it? Mike put it on sharepoint as a task.

-          Discussed plotting. I-plot needs to be used inside the agency.

 

 

Adjourned at 10:50 am

 

 

 

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

CAD TECHNICAL COMMITTEE

MEETING MINUTES

DATE: FEBRUARY 7, 2014

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

Staff Present

 

x

Mike Longstreet - Structures

 

Mike Lacroix – Roadway

X

Dan Beard – Structures (Minutes)

x

Lori Bullock – Pavement Mgt.

 x

Paul Beyor – Roadway

 

Jeff Blanchard – ROW

 

Judy Gilmore - Construction

 

Mladen Gagulic - Rail

 

Vacant - LTF

x

Israel Maynard – Stantec

 

Ralf Bullock - Operations

 

Schuyler Lamphere – Dubois & King



 

Meeting called to order at 9:05 a.m.

 

CADD Technical Committee minutes from January 9, 2014; Accepted as printed.

Mike Longstreet has been tasked with finalizing the memos. The committee reviewed the changes to the memos since last month. When all changes are made to the memos Bill will take them to Rich T.

Title sheet stamp has been moved from the Structures cell library to the Roadway cell library.

It was noted that the text in the border corner card should not be deleted; instead the “Edit Tags” command should be used.

The border presentation from January 7th is now posted on the CADD help page. With the video linked from YouTube. A discussion then arose about what the next presentation to do next, with no real resolution. The question of WebEx access was brought up, if the agency should get greater capacity for further presentations. Or should the agency not do any more live presentations, just record them and post online.

Sheet models were brought up.

                Should we lock models?

                                Pro: while locked, the user can still attach references, but not modify the sheet model.

                                Cons: Does not tell user that the sheet model is locked.

                Mike Longstreet will be looking into locking sheet models.

Annotation scaling was discussed.

The question of what the next online presentation should be, with no resolution.

The feasibility and location for a CADD FAQ was brought up. Should it be run through DII or posted on an offsite server? Possibly as a group project. How well it would be reviewed for validity. A CADD Discussion board was then brought up. With Mike Longstreet saying that he would look into it.

IT was reported to not have gotten back to Mike Longstreet about changes to WebEx.

 

Meeting Concluded at 11:05 a.m.

 

 

 

 

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

CAD TECHNICAL COMMITTEE

MEETING MINUTES

DATE: January 9, 2014

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

Staff Present

x

Mike Longstreet - Structures

x

Mike Lacroix – Roadway (Nicole as substitute)

x

Dan Beard - Structures

x

Lori Bullock – Pavement Mgt.

x

Paul Beyor – Roadway

 

Jeff Blanchard - ROW

 

Judy Gilmore - Construction

 

Mladen Gagulic - Rail

 

VACANT - LTF

x

Israel Maynard – Stantec (Minutes)

 

Ralf Bullock - Operations

x

Schuyler Lamphere – Dubois & King

 

Called to order at 9:05

 

CADD Technical Committee Minutes of December 5, 2013; accepted as printed

 

Status of CADD Standards Recommendation Memos FINAL approval.

·         Memos are now on VAOT website.

·         Memos have been reformatted to be an official document acronym CADSS (CADD Supplemental Standards) was chosen as an acronym for any new supplemental standards.

·         Recommendations was made to change the language from Recommendation to requirement or something similar.

·         Appendix C has been added to the 2014 CADD Standards and Procedures manual to direct users to the CADD supplemental standards (CADSS) now on the website.

Envision Training Update

·         Mike contacted envision about the possibility of carrying over the 80 hours left from 2013. There has been no response.

·         Mike showed the group available inroads training videos currently on the M Drive.

·         Discussed training options. Other companies, Bentley Learn, or options through envision that may lead to more usage. Options include opening training up to all users and allowing for training on other software.

Microstation SS3 implementation

·         Currently 3 users using Microstation SS3 with Inroads SS2.

·         Any new installs will be Microstation SS3.

·         The SS3 Version fixes text editor space issue with 1/64th.

01-07-2014 Border BDR file presentation review.

·         Presentation was recorded, Mike is in the process of editing to make available online.

·         Reviewed Poll questions from presentation attendees were an even mix of consultants and VTrans staff.

·         Webex only allows for 25 attendees, a limit that was reached at this meeting. Options for future meetings include upgrading webex to allow for more attendees or encouraging groups to sign in as one participant.

Mike reiterated the importance of using US Feet, and not international Feet. The difference in unit is minor but as you get further from the state plane origin the difference can be significant.

 

Meeting adjourned at 10:00

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

CAD TECHNICAL COMMITTEE

MEETING MINUTES

DATE: DECEMBER 5, 2013

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

Staff Present

X

Mike Longstreet - Structures

 

VACANT – Roadway

 

Dan Beard - Structures

X

Lori Bullock – Pavement Mgt.

X

Paul Beyor – Roadway  (Minutes)

X

Jeff Blanchard - ROW

 

Judy Gilmore - Construction

 

Mladen Gagulic - Rail

 

VACANT - LTF

X

Israel Maynard – Stantec

 

Ralf Bullock - Operations

X

Schuyler Lamphere – Dubois & King

 

 

Meeting called to order at 9:00 am.

 

CADD Technical Committee Minutes of November 7, 2013; accepted as printed.

 

The CADD Standards Recommendation Memos have received final approval from the CADD Steering Committee.  Mike reported that he has started working on the Supplemental/Appendix area of the CADD Web.  This location will house the newly adopted CADD Standards memos’ as well as other updates.

 

The Envision Training software has approximately 80 hours available (of the original 100 hours purchased).  This training time must be utilized by January 1, 2014 or it will disappear.  Mike was asked to contact Envision and request that the training hours be rolled over into 2014 (preferably to be utilized by December 30, 2014).

 

Mike discussed the newest MicroStation:  V8.1 - Select Series 3

Mike demonstrated several of the newest functions of the software and related that there were not many changes to the base software.  Shortcut menus were demonstrated to the group, as well as several other enhancements.  Mike has one other individual utilizing the newest version without many problems and he believes that the software is almost ready for deployment.

 

MicroStation Plotting PSET (Plot Configuration) concerns was related by Mike.  He will relay his concerns to Bentley.

 

As noted at the top of this form; several individuals have moved from their previous assignment (Patti Coburn - LTF) or terminated employment (Brandon McAdams – Roadway) and there are vacancies on this Committee.  Bill Farley will be contacted to assist with adding staff to the CADD Technical Committee.

 

VTrans Webinar Training was discussed as a method to convey information to VTrans and consultant staff on CADD related processes. Mike will start to assemble training information for a Webinar on Borders; to be provided in mid-January 2014.  Jeff Blanchard may assemble a Right of Way perspective on the utilization of VTrans created project plan sets as well those received from consultants.

 

Discussion followed on how each section is implementing the CADD folder structures.  Each section should report back to the CADD Technical Committee how their units are assigning and verifying compliance to the folder structures.

 

AutoTurn (Truck Turning Software):  Currently Vtrans utilizes AutoTrack software for turning movement assessment. AutoTrack was recently purchased by AutoCAD and future development for MicroStation may be nil or a MicroStation version may not be available to the users.  AutoTurn has contacted VTrans and would be willing to provide AutoTurn – with no up-front purchase cost of the software; only a yearly maintenance fee.

 

Meeting adjourned at 10:40

 

 

 

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

CAD TECHNICAL COMMITTEE

MEETING MINUTES

DATE: November 7, 2013

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

Staff Present

x

Mike Longstreet - Structures

x

Brandon McAdams – Roadway

x

Dan Beard - Structures

x

Lori Bullock – Pavement Mgt. (Minutes)

 

Paul Beyor – Roadway

x

Jeff Blanchard – ROW

 

Judy Gilmore - Construction

 

Mladen Gagulic - Rail

 

Patti Coburn - LTF

x

Israel Maynard – Stantec

 

Ralf Bullock - Operations

x

Schuyler Lamphere – Dubois & King

 

Meeting called to order at 9:00 a.m.

 

Minutes of October 3, 2013 – CAD Technical Committee Meeting minutes accepted as printed.

 

Status of CADD Standards Recommendation Memos Final Approval:  CADD Steering Committee accepted the memo now it is just a matter of implementing it.

 

CADD Standards and Procedures Update:  Section 4 comments have been received and changes have been made.  Revised 2014 manual should go on line next month.  Rich Tetreault will make an announcement when this happens. Appendix Z has been updated to reflect recent changes to Section 4.  Appendix Z makes an attempt to document changes to the CADD manual. Appendix C supplemental has been started.  Appendix C is meant to reference documents that are to be considered part of the manual.

 

Envision Training Update:  There are 80 plus hours of Envision training remaining for the year.  Only eleven hours had been used prior to Mike using some time for Excel training.  Mike suggested opening up Envision to everyone which may eliminate the need for some classes.

 

MicroStation SS3 implementation is almost ready to deploy with InRoads SS2.  There is no reason not to use the latest version of MicroStation.  There are very little changes to this new version.  We could possibly have several users try it on a trial basis.

 

InRoads SS3 demo:  The latest version of InRoads is completely different from the previous version.  Everything is now put in microstation.  The config files are completely different.  Mike provided us with a demonstration of the SS3 version. 

 

 

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

CAD TECHNICAL COMMITTEE

MEETING MINUTES

DATE: October 3, 2013

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

Staff Present

x

Mike Longstreet - Structures

A

Brandon McAdams – Roadway

x

Dan Beard - Structures

x

Lori Bullock – Pavement Mgt.

x

Paul Beyor – Roadway

x

Jeff Blanchard – ROW (Minutes)

A

Judy Gilmore - Construction

A

Mladen Gagulic - Rail

A

Patti Coburn - LTF

x

Israel Maynard – Stantec

A

Ralf Bullock - Operations

x

Schuyler Lamphere – Dubois & King

 

Meeting called to order at 9:00 a.m.

 

Minutes of September 5, 2013 – CADD Technical Meeting minutes accepted as printed.

 

CADD Standards Recommendation Memos Final approval – Reviewed two recommendation memos. Mike Longstreet to have Brandon revise and send out to group for final review and approval which is due next week in order to get to the Steering Committee.

 

CADD Standards and Procedures Update – reviewed 4.7 for rewording and clarification on the sv.dgn, top.dgn usage and standard practice. Mike advised this needed to get into the manual and out to everyone ASAP.

 

Title Sheet update – This involved removing legend, add consultant logo area and rename the sheet to title2011A.dgn. Mike advised this was done. Paul brought up the question as to why we weren’t labeling with 2013 instead of 2011. Mike and Dan advised that it was linked to the 2011 Specification Sheets. Mike also advised this new sheet does not affect current title sheets in use.

 

Envision Training Update – Mike was going to ask them for a usage report. He was wondering how much time was left to use before it expires and had concerns it may not be getting used as much as originally expected.

 

Microstation SS3 implementation – Mike advised this would be a standard install to be implemented on new machines and would be updated on current machines as needed. He also noted there might be a fraction stacking problem.

 

New Business – Paul asked about the importance of Fonts and if it really matters anymore. Mike why it does matter in that some specific fonts do not have line weights associated with them.

Mike asked for thoughts on group training through Webex. This would allow for consultants and personnel to be able to log in. Mike’s thoughts were to do a trial run and discuss border files as well as sv.dgn and top.dgn. He suggested trying it and keeping the meeting 30-60 minutes. The goal is to start getting file maintenance under control.
*********

 

 

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

CAD TECHNICAL COMMITTEE

MEETING MINUTES

DATE: September 5, 2013

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

Staff Present

x

Mike Longstreet - Structures

x

Brandon McAdams – Roadway

x

Dan Beard - Structures

x

Lori Bullock – Pavement Mgt.

x

Paul Beyor – Roadway  (Minutes)

x

Ed Pierce - ROW

A

Judy Gilmore - Construction

A

Bill Farley - Construction

x

Patti Coburn - LTF

x

Israel Maynard – Stantec

A

Ralf Bullock - Operations

x

Schuyler Lamphere – Dubois & King

 

 

Meeting called to order at 9:05 am.

 

Minutes of August 1, 2013 - CADD Technical Committee Meeting minutes accepted as printed.

 

Memo’s to Steering Committee are out for review.  Group reviewed current verbiage and made several suggestions.  Brandon McAdams will update memos and re-circulate for comments.

 

It was recently discovered that a consultant had been copying survey SV.DGN file to TOP.DGN and adding topo annotation to the TOP.DGN.  The consultant believes that they can perform this function – due to the wording in the CAD Manual.  The group discussed this process and disagreed with the consultants’ procedure.  Mike Longstreet has already updated the wording on the CADD Web Site; stating that the SV.DGN will contain the survey features, and the TOP.DGN will contain the annotation and little feature information.

 

Mike related that VTrans CAD file graphics should only be placed in the ‘default’ model.  Graphical elements must not be placed in sheet models.

 

Title sheet update:  Mike has removed the legend from the lower left side of the sheet.  The specification notation has been moved from the lower right side of the sheet to the area previously containing the legend. It was suggested that the consultant logo and PE stamp be located in the lower right side of the sheet – immediately left of the corner card.  The consultant information will be placed on levels that will allow the location to be turned on and off.

 

Mike discussed the newest MicroStation:  V8.1 - Select Series 3

Mike demonstrated several of the newest functions of the software and related that there were not many changes to the base software.

 

Ed Pierce related that Plans & Titles is running into daily problems with files and file levels and Project Managers should be more responsible for their product.

 

Meeting adjourned at 10:45

 

 

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

CAD TECHNICAL COMMITTEE

MEETING MINUTES

DATE: August 1, 2013

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

Staff Present

x

Mike Longstreet - Structures

x

Brandon McAdams – Roadway

x

Dan Beard - Structures

x

Lori Bullock – Pavement Mgt.

x

Paul Beyor – Roadway

x

Ed Pierce - ROW

 

Judy Gilmore - Construction

 

Bill Farley

x

Patti Coburn - LTF

x

Israel Maynard – Stantec

x

Ralf Bullock - Operations

x

Schuyler Lamphere – Dubois & King (Minutes)


*********

Called to order at 9:00

 

Discussed comments on memo regarding Plan Set PDF

·         Comment made that not all projects require every submittal so memo should be revised to all applicable submittals

Discussed comments on memo regarding CADD file submissions

·         Decided that once the memo is approved by the CADD Steering committee it should be made an addendum to the CADD manual so that it becomes a requirement.

File Folder sections standard status.

·         Structures has completed and documented

·         Highway safety and design is very close to being done.

File naming standards.

·         The standard in the CADD manual needs to be followed.

·         There should be no underbars between the PPMS number and the file name. There can be an underbar before a descriptor.

·         All files being submitted by consultants should have the “z” prefix. If the file is then changed by someone within the agency it should be copied out of the consultant folder and have the prefix changed.

·         Full file path is not needed in the corner card. Only the file name is needed.

 

Paul Beyor is currently working on a memo regarding procedure for getting files from the ftp site. Incoming folders should be documented with the date it came from the consultant not the date it was transferred.

 

Discussion on having levels NBL1-NBL10

·         Request raised by a consultant. It would allow to have the level number correspond with a sheet number

·         Currently have NBL1-NBL6 adding the 4 extra NBL levels would also trigger adding 4 levels to NBL_T, NBLC, NBLNC, and NBLND resulting in more additonal levels.

·         If alternating the NBL levels 6 should only be needed in extreme cases such as complex intersections.

·         Decision made to not add levels at this time.

 

 

Default Model vs Sheet Model usage review.

·         No graphical elements should be in the sheet model, only references.

·         Should not move references to the sheet shape. This does not allow the sheet to maintain geospatial integrity.

Title Sheet Revisions

·         Traffic Data will be moved to the typical sheet

·         Legend sheet is now a standalone sheet

·         Considering adding boxes for consultant logos and P.E. stamps.

·         Should only use scale on the title sheet map that is usable with a scale bar.

·         Reviewed using arcmap to quickly get location maps.

·         Any comments on title sheet changes need to be submitted by August 15th.

 

Meeting adjourned at 10:15

 

 

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

CAD TECHNICAL COMMITTEE

MEETING MINUTES

DATE: July 11, 2013

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

Staff Present

x

Mike Longstreet - Structures

x

Brandon McAdams – Roadway

x

Dan Beard - Structures

x

Lori Bullock – Pavement Mgt.

 

Paul Beyor – Roadway

 

Ed Pierce - ROW

 

Judy Gilmore - Construction

x

Bill Farley

x

Patti Coburn - LTF

x

Israel Maynard – Stantec

 

Ralf Bullock - Operations

x

Schuyler Lamphere – Dubois & King (Minutes)


*********

Called to order at 9:00

 

·         Discussed the recommendation – LTF would like to make a few changes to address their concerns (If it’s required to follow state standards then it is required to follow this procedure.)

·         Discussed where things are to be stored, one recommendation was to put a link on the m:drive under project engineering/LTF that brings you to the Z: drive so that support staff could easily locate files.

·         Discussed other possibilities to fit LTF and their needs into this plan

·         Policing will be the next hurdle to overcome

·         Not stacking sheets anymore.  Make sure each is geospatial

·         After the rec is revised and put out to shared review, lets have people use the approved stamp.

 

Adjourned at 10:03

 

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

CAD TECHNICAL COMMITTEE

MEETING MINUTES

DATE: July 6, 2013

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

Staff Present

x

Mike Longstreet - Structures

x

Brandon McAdams – Roadway

x

Dan Beard - Structures

x

Lori Bullock – Pavement Mgt.

x

Paul Beyor – Roadway  (Minutes)

x

Ed Pierce - ROW

 

Judy Gilmore - Construction

 

Stephanie Magnan

x

Patti Coburn - LTF

x

Israel Maynard – Stantec

 

Ralf Bullock - Operations

x

Schuyler Lamphere – Dubois & King

 

Mladin Gagulic - Rail

 

 

 

Meeting called to order at 9:00 am.

 

No minutes from last meeting.

 

Discussion regarding future versions of Microstation/Inroads. The new versions won’t yet work well for VTrans. Could be five years before any upgrades are made.

 

Roadway is working on standardizing their preferences.

 

Sheet modeling: While we don’t normally use it, we don’t prohibit its use by consultants. It’s important however that all elements be drawn in the default model. We have received some projects in ROW not done properly by consultants, slowing project delivery.

 

Memo to cad steering committee concerning consultant submittals is being revised.

 

Structures is moving toward becoming completely paperless; with Acrobat Pro and two monitors for all workstations.

 

Traffic Sign Summary Sheet needs updating & standardizing.

 

 

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

CAD TECHNICAL COMMITTEE

MEETING MINUTES

DATE: MARCH 7th, 2013

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

Staff Present

x

Mike Longstreet - Structures

x

Brandon McAdams – Roadway

x

Dan Beard – Structures

x

Lori Bullock – Pavement Mgt.

 

Paul Beyor – Roadway

x

Ed Pierce – ROW

 

Judy Gilmore – Construction

 

Mladen Gagulic – Rail

x

Patti Coburn – LTF

x

Israel Maynard – Stantec

x

Ralf Bullock – Operations (Minutes)

x

Schuyler Lamphere – Dubois & King

x

Steph Magnan - Operations

 

 


*********

Meeting called to order at 9:00

 

Minutes from February meeting were reviewed and accepted.

 

Structures manual has been updated and is available on the web.

Folder structure was added to the manual.

CADD Example Project File Data Structure

The manual has examples of all layout types.

           

 

ROW folder structure is similar

            All design files are in one folder. All working design files are in a subfolder within the primary.

 

Maintenance folders will mimic the Structures folder.

 

Memo to the Steering committee, to enforce standards was reviewed and modified

 

All in attendance agreed that the standards recommendation should be sent forward and up the chain of command to be approved, and then sent back down through the ranks to be implemented.

 

Question was brought up about who and how much the training videos were being used. Mike said that he would ask for the report and bring it to the next meeting.

 

Meeting concluded at 10:15.

 

Additional Comments:

Patti noted LTF is not currently saving files on the M drive; all LTF project files are currently on the Z drive; not all LTF projects are in MicroStation; projects on local roads are sometimes in AutoCAD.  Only a few LTF staff have MicroStation on their computers to review interim submittals and they may not be familiar enough with CAD standards to check for conformance.  LTF staff does keep PDF files of milestone step submittals as these PDF files are posted for on-line shared review.  It was asked if there was a reason LTF couldn’t start filing milestone PDF files on the M drive.  Patti agreed that it was possible, but noted that she wanted to review the memo with Sue Scribner.

 

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

CAD TECHNICAL COMMITTEE

MEETING MINUTES

DATE: JANUARY 3, 2013

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

Staff Present

x

Mike Longstreet - Structures

A

Brandon McAdams – Roadway

x

Dan Beard - Structures

x

Lori Bullock – Pavement Mgt.

x

Paul Beyor – Roadway  (Minutes)

x

Ed Pierce - ROW

x

Judy Gilmore - Construction

x

Stephanie Magnan

x

Patti Coburn - LTF

x

Israel Maynard – Stantec

x

Ralf Bullock - Operations

x

Schuyler Lamphere – Dubois & King

x

Mladin Gagulic - Rail

 

 

 

Meeting called to order at 9:05 am.

 

December 6, 2012 - CADD Technical Committee Meeting minutes accepted as printed.

 

Mike Longstreet stated that the Envision Training Software became operational on January 1, 2013 (for MicroStation only).  In the future; Excel Training may be added to this contract.  Mike will be scheduling several classes in which multiple users will be able to view the training.  Reports will be automatically generated and e-mailed to Mike on a quarterly basis.  The names of anyone that needs MicroStation training should be submitted to Mike.

 

 

Mike demonstrated the Structures Folder organization to those in attendance.  Each section should document their folder organization and deliver it to the CADD Technical Committee for review and comment.

 

Paul notified the group that Highway Safety and Design would be utilizing the ‘M’ drive for all project related files.  The ‘Z’ drive would only be utilized for non-project specific documents, guidance, forms, etc.  On all project related folders, a shortcut will be placed on the ‘Z’ drive pointing to the lead design unit on the ‘M’ drive. This generated much discussion as to why Structures and others would chose to utilize the Z drive for project related files. 

 

 

Meeting adjourned at 10:05

 

 

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

CAD TECHNICAL COMMITTEE

MEETING MINUTES

DATE: December 6, 2012

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

Staff Present

x

Mike Longstreet - Structures

x

Brandon McAdams – Roadway

x

Dan Beard - Structures

x

Lori Bullock – Pavement Mgt.

 

Paul Beyor – Roadway

x

Ed Pierce - ROW

x

Judy Gilmore - Construction

x

Stephanie Magnan

x

Patti Coburn - LTF

x

Israel Maynard – Stantec

x

Ralf Bullock - Operations

x

Schuyler Lamphere – Dubois & King (Minutes)

 

Called to order at 9:07am

 

November meeting minutes accepted as printed

 

-          VTRANS bought the Envision CAD training which will start on January 1st.  The hours            purchased are only good for the calendar year of which they were purchased in.

-          Discussed how to manage users.  Someone needs to be in charge of this.

·         Option 1 is to offer monthly meetings/trainings

·         Option 2 is to give select users access for a limited time (2 weeks or a month)

-          Mike is going to set up a monthly mtg in January as a trial

-          Everyone needs to get a list together of the people in your group that should have full access, by Jan 1st.

-          Construction has a CADD training coming up on bridge maintenance, CADD standards and design

-          Discussed folder structure/file organization

·         Every section needs to document their file structure

-          Is there a way to create/add preferences to the preference file to meet a particular group's needs? Get a list together of your needs and Mike will look at it.

-          Would like to move toward Construction As-Built drawings being geo-spatially  correct.  Right now they are tiffs, referenced into a dgn file.

 

Adjourned at 10:00

 

 

 

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

CAD TECHNICAL COMMITTEE

MEETING MINUTES

DATE: November 1, 2012

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

Staff Present

x

Mike Longstreet - Structures

 

Brandon McAdams – Roadway

x

Dan Beard - Structures

x

Lori Bullock – Pavement Mgt. (minutes)

x

Paul Beyor – Roadway

x

Ed Pierce - ROW

x

Judy Gilmore - Construction

 

Mladen Gagulic - Rail

x

Patti Coburn - LTF

x

Israel Maynard - Stantec

x

Ralf Bullock - Operations

 

Schuyler Lamphere – Dubois & King

 

Minutes from October’s meeting were accepted as is.

 

The objective of today’s meeting was to come to a decision about whether to approve/ disapprove purchasing the Envision training video.  It was noted that the cost will be $10/hour and pausing while using the video will stop the clock.

 

We discussed the pros and cons of the video.  Some of the positive comments were as follows:

 

·         The search capability was very handy.

·         Potential to take the place of someone coming in to teach a class.

·         You can fast forward through the video.

·         You can look at specific training needs.

·         Recommend using the training but don’t do the labs – go to own design file.

·         A group of people can get together to watch the video which makes it more cost effective

Some of the negative comments were as follows:

·         Not interactive

·         Screen was blurry

·         Too thorough, more information than was needed

·         Sound isn’t great – must use headphones.

·         Wasn’t clear that you needed to download labs

The fact that we have no training room makes it critical that we find some other way for people to get trained.

 

One question that was brought up was whether there were any manuals that came with the training.  Mike stated that we do have PDF manuals on Microstation by this same company and there is the help page within Microstation itself.

 

Another question that came up was who was going to pay for the training?  Where will the money come from?  It would be unfortunate to leave someone out simply because their department won’t pay for it.  It was decided that we would worry about the billing after we get approval for the training.

 

We took a vote and the members of the CADD Technical Committee approved spending money to purchase the Envision training video.  Envision will give us a weekly(?) report on the usage. It was decided that not everyone interested in learning microstation will get trained – only those that will actually use it.  We may need to come up with certain sections that we want users trained on. 

 

Our next subject of discussion was Standardization.  Roadway was told that they need to use the Z drive but they use a hyperlink that takes you to the M drive.  Project files in Roadway will all be under the M drive – excel sheets, documents, design files, etc.  Structures has design files on the M drive and everything else project related on the Z drive.  The Z drive is based on town name and project number – there are no PMS numbers.  The Z drive is common to all users where not everyone has the M drive mapped.  A naming convention needs to be set up that is common among all departments.

 

 

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

CAD TECHNICAL COMMITTEE

MEETING MINUTES

DATE: October 4, 2012

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

Staff Present

x

Mike Longstreet - Structures

x

Brandon McAdams – Roadway

x

Dan Beard - Structures

x

Lori Bullock – Pavement Mgt.

x

Paul Beyor – Roadway

x

Ed Pierce - ROW

x

Judy Gilmore - Construction

 

Mladen Gagulic - Rail

x

Patti Coburn - LTF

 

Israel Maynard - Stantec

x

Ralf Bullock - Operations

 

Schuyler Lamphere – Dubois & King


Past meeting minutes – accepted with revisions

            Mike retested training room computers – seem to be functional so will try an InRoads Training class

 

Steering Committee asked for two consultants to be part of this committee, they (Rich T’s group) picked the two. One from Stantec and one from DuBois and King.  Try and get them to meetings (via conference call, in person, etc).  If conference call – someone know how to run it?  Someone be consultants’ point of contact – Ed volunteered to do this.

 

Training – purchase / look at website.  Video may work better for District

 

Good idea for video? Depends on price – value versus cost.  Charged for any inactive periods (if you walk away)?

 

$1000 for 100 hours and limit to just MicroStation.  Limit since InRoads is specific to unit and is higher level of use.  Video is on the internet – don’t need to buy or add anything to the computer (other than MicroStation?)  Inform higher ups that we want to use this and proceed.  Each video is about 20 to 40 minutes.  Accountability will be needed – use videos in training room so dedicated training time?  Cost over $2500 for someone to come train for three days – limited class sizes.  How many hours will it take to train someone?  Some will be more proficient than others…  Needs to be people selected by their supervisors.  Can limit and see what has been done.  Do some training on our own.  Look at which videos we want to use?  Come up with per person cost to train?  How many videos will they need to watch to be trained?  Do a trail to get the basic idea of per person?  Spend more than five hours watching videos and not up to speed – might need to question their CAD abilities…?  Do trial and revisit after a bit.  Videos counterpart to manuals we all ready have.  Easier to learn watching and doing than reading manuals.

 

Other options to this brand of videos?  Axium – not impressed with it.  Not flexible.  Bently offer anything other than in person? Bently offers upgrade licensing and then will have a ton of online help, but expensive. Not very organized. YouTube videos offers MicroStation training if do the searches.  No way to track the amount of time spent on YouTube either.

 

Internal teaching – short class on specific topics every few months.  Everyone is busy – hard to do this.  To do a good training, there is a lot of time involved in prep.  Varied levels of experience.

 

IT has abandoned CAD.  CAD taken for granted except for those who use it.

 

Can’t wait months for training.  Productive new employee needs training immediately.  Need to invest in CAD training with new employees that will be using CAD.

 

Get the trial version and we’ll see.  Modules that are AutoCAD to MicroStation switch?

 

Mentor per squad that teaches right now.  Reduces mentors productivity on projects while getting new employee up to speed.

 

Make our own videos – good idea, just need the time.

 

Mike handed out sheet of Conventional Symbology – Legend: show all line styles and codes.  Some hope to put into plan set after Title sheet possibly or as first standard.  If standard any changes will need to go back through signature process. If plan sheet, could change line styles from project to project.  Sheet available for use right now.  On T:\ with all the other drawings.  PDF too, but PDF may be out of date.

 

ROW consultant CAD files are really difficult to work with.  No good way to deal with it.  Tell PM about it, PM decides whether to have consultant change it or not.  Normally not.  ROW then spends much more time trying to fix the files.

 

Standards could be improved (ie Border Sheet level, North Arrow level, Scale Bar level – put on same level?).  Consultants often use numerous nu files, 60 working reference files of alternatives that didn’t get used…  We don’t need what wasn’t used, just what is necessary for contract documents.

 

Roadway pretends iPlot doesn’t exist: design file is the sheet, reference in all the needed elements (nu, border, ROW, etc)  ROW has been doing similar

 

How get PM to hold consultants accountable for standards?  Interim submissions of CAD files – not just PDF files.  Check file names, references, correct line styles (our styles and fonts), borders; levels glance at, but too intensive for in-depth check.  NH has SpecChecker software for checking files.  Good and bad points to SpecChecker – doesn’t allow for variances of weighted lines. 

 

InRoads will be changing in the future and we will need to create a whole bunch more levels for InRoads so we can still view what is needed.

 

Need to make sure don’t change geo-spacial references.  Don’t move drawings to border, but move/rotate border to drawing.

 

Actual standards for borders hasn’t really changed in ten years.  Consultants just not reading manuals.

 

Data needs to follow standards so data can be live and usable after the plans are built.

 

How do we enforce the standards?  Reject incorrect files.  Get the PMs involved – get them to care, to see the life of the project beyond the paper files.

 

Get Steering Committee to go to the top so there is that accountability for standards (in house and out of house).  If we can’t get that, this Technical Group will not be able to function well.

            Give PM a list of things that need to be checked at the different review levels that pertain to CAD files (not just paper files)

                        Conceptual – make sure consultant knows they are supposed to follow our standards.  VAOT review CAD files through life of consultant project life.  If not following standards – kick it back to consultant (assuming without additional pay)

 

Next month:

Trial, check with Steering Committee, bring list Steering Committee wants us to do, Folder structure: PPMS/Project/General folder structure – write this down so other user groups know what to look for.

 

 

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

CAD TECHNICAL COMMITTEE

MEETING MINUTES

DATE: September 6, 2012

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

Staff Present

x

Mike Longstreet - Structures

x

Brandon McAdams – Roadway

x

Dan Beard - Structures

x

Lori Bullock – Pavement Mgt.

x

Paul Beyor – Roadway

x

Ed Pierce - ROW

x

Judy Gilmore - Construction

x

Mladen Gagulic - Rail

x

Patti Coburn - LTF

 

Israel Maynard - Stantec

 

Ralf Bullock - Operations

 

Schuyler Lamphere – Dubois & King

 

Mike opened the first meeting of this new committee with a brief description of how the committee was created. Introductions were made around the table. The committee will meet as often as needed, with a monthly schedule for now. Two major areas we will address are training and standardization.

 

The purpose of this committee is to identify needed improvements in the way we use cad, and develop and implement these improvements.

 

Who uses cad: Various sections which use or could be using cad, and that the users of each section have specific needs.

 

How to implement improvements we identify: We should be able to do this ourselves rather than have to get approval from the steering committee, although it is important that we keep them informed. Some improvements, such as routine maintenance, are easily done on our own. Other improvements, such as new servers, would require cooperation of others outside the committee.

 

Training: Most of the meeting was a discussion of cad training needs. At the moment, all we have is a pdf training manual, and we rely heavily on experienced users training those with less experience on an as-needed basis for specific tasks.

 

A training video for MicroStation and Inroads might be helpful. It would be most useful for beginning, overall knowledge. More specific training is needed for the different sections, and because new users have a wide variety of backgrounds in cad. Envision has a product we should look at.

 

We could make our own training videos given the time and resources.